Thursday, August 4, 2011

Facebook Friends: Emily - Erin

Emily Reutebuch
I got to know Emily when she was an intern over here at the Science Center. I'm sort of anti-intern. That's horrible of me, I realize. I mean, I get what a great learning experience it is for them, but the payback is usually nil. In fact, you end up losing a lot of time training them and then just having to redo their stuff anyways. Emily was a rare find. She knew what she was doing. No hand-holding required. She had a good eye for design and she got stuff done. Another thing that separated her from the pack was her ability to come in and be a part of the group. She wasn't intimidated by us. We're a pretty hilarious bunch and interns usually cower in the corner hoping to avoid our witty insults and hard-time giving. Not Emily. She stepped right in and joined in the fun. Maybe it's her theater background. Maybe she was just ACTING like she wasn't afraid of us. If she did, we totally bought it. We really wanted to keep her, but alas, she moved on to bigger and better things in NYC.


Eric Little
I went to high school with Eric and he always had that "little boy" appearance. He's growing into his man face quite nicely these days. I'd say he looks at least 21. Not bad for a 30 year old.



Eric Minor
Minor is one of the people I love most in the world. I've always referred to him as my Wise Old Man. He's been listening to my problems, guiding me through them and putting me in my place for 16 years now. We haven't lived in the same zip code for more than a few months in the last 12 of those years, but if I had a dollar for every 2 hour phone session we've had, I'd have, like...50 bucks! That's a lot of talking! Minor and I are NOTHING alike. He's solid, I'm mushy. He's tidy, I'm a slob. He's practical, I won't touch anything practical with a ten foot pole. And yet, somehow, we totally get each other. Maybe it's our differences that make us admire each other so much. I always know I can say anything to him and I always respect his opinion and want to know what he thinks. I trust him. (Except when it comes to making plans)

He's the kind of guy you can just feel safe with. If bombs were falling from the sky, I would want to be where he is because I know he'll know what to do. And even if he doesn't, he'll take charge and pretend he does, so... same thing.

Minor and I have always had this weird "will they, won't they" sort of relationship. We never have and chances are at this point, we probably won't. There's been a significant drifting over the last few years, and we really don't need each other as much as we did when we were younger but, I know we both have left an impression on each other that doesn't go anywhere.


Erica Hennessy
Sweet and genuine Erica Hennessy is a pal of mine from high school. She was everyone's pal. She's impossible not to like. I think I may have had every single class with her all four years, and we had many of the same friends, so we spent a LOT of time together. Being so naturally supportive and encouraging, she was always willing to laugh at my jokes that weren't funny at all. AT ALL. So, thank you Erica for helping me to develop such a highly inflated ego! It was no small task!

Erin Murphy
Because my beautiful, talented, and good friend Erin is such a wordsmith, I feel a lot of pressure to write something really clever here. Now, whenever I'm really TRYING it always ends up to just be a bunch of word vomit. So, I'll try something different with this one. Maybe if I just start out with word vomit, it will turn into something clever.

Let's see here:

Erin. Short. Feisty. Revolt. Quick. Powerful. Hard shell. Soft center. Words. More Words. Loud. Ponytail. Astute. Creative. Bitch Face. Hilarious. Traveler. Seeker. Finder. Friendly. Finger Gestures. Laughing. Beer. More beer. Wine. More Wine. Books. Brilliant. Unique. Word Daggers. Word Hugs. Cultured. Adventure. Injustice Hater. Fighter. Encourager. Unstoppable. Vigilante. Yellow.

Meh. That didn't really work, but basically, Erin is cooler and funnier and sharper than anyone you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment