Friday, July 22, 2011

Facebook Friends: Elias - Emily

Elias Cantu
Elias is good people. Movie star handsome with a heart of gold. My roommate and his roommate dated and, therefore we were thrown together a lot. Elias was the person that made me feel safe and respected in a crowd that seemed very shallow, dismissive and usually wasted. I'm pretty sure our friendship was 98% platonic and I honestly can't remember if the other 2% was us actually dating, or me just thinking we should so much that I started believing we did. It was a weird time for me, but I'm glad he was in it.


Elizabeth Kell Miklas
Tiny and terrific. Definitely one of the easier people to be around in High School. I have a really good recollection of Liz's laugh and I can't picture her with out seeing Michelle Czj.......kowski right next to her.


Elli Flynn
Elli Jo, the Funniest Girl I Know, is theatrical and full of character. When she tells a story, every part of her body tells it with her. Her hands, her eyes, her hips, heck, I'm pretty sure even her toenails were in on it. She doesn't walk; she prances.

I owe so much to Elli Jo. I really don't know if I would be an artist today had I not met her. I also doubt I would have the sense of humor that I do. Elli and I spent 2-3 years in high school passing notes back and forth every single day. Not just any notes. These were legendary. Funny scenes and illustrated comics involving people we knew and people we made up, which, looking at them now, are disgusting, sort of mean and not nearly as hilarious as they were at the time, but nothing from our youth ever is. I didn't realize it then, but it was this partnership that was the cornerstone on which the rest of my creative life has been built on. It stretched me. Up until that point, I knew I could draw rose tattoos on people at lunch, but that was about the extent of my artistic self-awareness. So, if I ever end up a famous dead artist and they do a documentary on my life, my stupid comics with Elli Jo will be my point of revelation. The point where I realized what I loved to do.



Emily Bogolin
This is Emily. She happens to be my beautiful, wonderful niece's beautiful, wonderful best friend, but I love her all on her own. I don't know what the future holds for this 13 year old, but I'm sure she'll do great things. She's got all the things that greatness requires: ambition, drive, leadership, self-awareness, confidence and a hefty dose of P.M.A. (Positive Mental Attitude). None of these things come to me naturally. I have to work at them, but Emily has them in spades. I can't wait to see where her life takes her–or–should I say, where she takes her life. She's not going anywhere unless she wants to. (Acts of God not included.)


Emily Boyd
I met Emily my freshmen year in college. I can picture her now. Teenie, tiny, crazy-haired, punk rocker Emily strolling through the halls of the art department with her precocious 4-year-old daughter skipping along beside her. I was pretty intimidated by her at first. She seemed dark and edgy and smart enough to give me a good verbal lashing if I said something super uncool. You see, I was afflicted with suburban white girl syndrome. The palette of people I had been exposed to up until that point was somewhat limited. I didn't know what Emily was, but I didn't think she was the sort to sit at home on Thursday nights watching Friends with a bag of Funyuns in her lap. I had to figure her out. And, I sort of did. It turns out, Emily wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought. She's actually very warm, kind, outgoing, encouraging and awesome. Not to mention just crazy enough to be entertaining. I was right about her being smart enough to shred people with words, but I think she's pretty responsible with not misusing her gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment